About the role.
Locations: Hertfordshire, Brighton, Basingstoke
We are recruiting Senior Ecologists to join our busy and expanding teams (c. 30 ecologists across all offices). As an enthusiastic and passionate member of the team, you will play a key role in maintaining high standards and delivering high-quality work to our ever-growing range of clients. As a multi-disciplinary consultancy, you will have the opportunity to work with landscape, urban design and heritage colleagues to develop a broader understanding of planning and development, as well as ecology and biodiversity.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Our variety of projects and clients offer diverse tasks and opportunities. Alongside supporting junior colleagues, you will work with our lead ecologists and play a significant, client facing role in project delivery. As well as leading protected species surveys you will prepare and/or oversee PEAs, EcIAs, HRAs, BNG Assessments, mitigation strategies and more. You will use QGIS and other graphics packages to prepare high-quality technical drawings such as Habitats Plans and Biodiversity Enhancement Plans.
We are looking for friendly, highly motivated and conscientious individuals, who demonstrate a passion and enthusiasm for ecology.
- Relevant ecology/biology degree (2:1 or above desirable)
- Protected species survey experience, including personal species survey licences
- Habitat survey experience (ideally UKHab) and sound botanical skills
- Strong working knowledge of relevant wildlife legislation
- Excellent written English and verbal communication skills
- Skilled with MS Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Hard-working and willing to take on new challenges
- Highly organised, able to multi-task and work effectively within our team of experienced ecologists
- Forward thinking, with a keen interest in staying up to date with the latest survey techniques, guidance and innovations
- Willingness to undertake an average of two night-time surveys per week during the peak survey season, including occasional overnight stays (accommodation and subsistence paid)
- Full, clean UK driving licence, with own car insured for business use
- Membership of CIEEM (ACIEEM or above)
- Strong technical specialism (e.g. ornithological or botanical skills)
- FISC level 3 or above
- Working towards additional protected species survey licenses
- Expertise with QGIS/other GIS packages
WHAT WE OFFER
A healthy work-life balance is very important to us and we seek to provide a supportive, friendly and attractive place to work. In addition, we offer an exciting benefits package, including:
- Salary £35,000 – £42,000 per annum
- A permanent, full-time contract
- Hybrid working, with the option to work from home up to 2 days a week (following completion of probationary period)
- Flexible working around core hours
- Annual profit related and performance-based bonus scheme
- Overtime pay arrangement for out-of-hours survey work
- 25 days annual leave, increasing to 30 days with length of service
- Company pension contribution, which increases with length of service
- Annual staff trip and funded team social events
- Annual ‘Ecology Team Day’ with internal and external speakers
- Mobile phone allowance
- Commitment to continued professional development, including a generous training allowance for external training courses targeted at your areas of interest and development
- Opportunities to explore ecological specialism
- Paid subscription to CIEEM/protected species licence fees
- Real commitment to employee wellbeing, including access to our Employee Assistance Programme and mental health first-aiders
CSA is a carbon neutral company, committed to offsetting our carbon footprint. We are also committed to encouraging equality and diversity and welcome applications from people of diverse backgrounds. We aim to create an environment in which individual differences and their contributions are recognised and valued.